Monday, May 01, 2006

Deux Ex In-Laws
.

We have no hot water. Because a few months ago, we found a trickle of moisture in the utility closet. The hubby-man said something about overflow valves and I'm sure the word "repair" came into play somewhere. I didn't pay much attention because the hubby-man can fix anything. So whatever it was, he would fix it.

Late last week, there was a puddle in the basement. I laid down some towels to soak it up; and pretty soon there was a pile of sopping wet towels and an even larger puddle.
I walked through the water and took a peek in the utility closet. Hm. The water heater had a ring of corrosion all around the bottom. That's not good.

The hubby-man was working from home that day, so we sat side by side on our computers and compared water heater prices at various hardware stores. Although our budget called for the cheapest possible water heater, my eyes kept returning to the lovely tankless water heater page. At twice the cost (or more) a tankless heater was out of the question...

But it has a longer warranty!
And all the parts are replaceable!
And it's smaller!
And sooo efficient!
And we'd save so much on our utility bills!
Plus the whole environmental issue!

We ooh'ed and aah'ed over the tankless heaters, and found an affordable old fashioned water heater that would replace our failing heater.

The hubby-man reached for the phone, and I begged him; "Don't call your mom. Please!" While my mind scrambled around for some way to pay for a new water heater.

That night, our "hot" water was only warm. The next day it was barely over room temperature and the puddle in the basement had become a flood. The water heater was hemorrhaging. We shut off the water heater, mopped up the mess and arranged showers with friends. (Thank you, Persephone!)
Then the hubby-man called his mom.

I hate that. She's already helping us pay tuition. And she bought is seats from the old Busch Stadium. We shouldn't ask for more -no matter how badly we need it. I was ashamed.

However. My goddess like mother in law agreed to buy us a water heater in lieu of birthday, Christmas, and anniversary presents. Not only that, but she was totally in favor of a tankless water heater! So, after talking it over with her hubby-man (my god-like father in law), she told us to buy "what we need" and send her the bill.

I am speechless with gratitude.

Not only are my in-laws helping us far more than we deserve; they're helping us keep to our goal if having a more environmentally conscious home. Wow.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

4 comments:

Optima said...

~doing the happy dance for ya~
Never be ashamed to ask parents for anything- I am so glad they helped you.
I really enjoyed our time Friday, I feel so much better when you are here listening to me bitch & moan.
I really value your company, let's not wait so long to get together.

~martha said...

Hey lady.... Been a while since I have been here. or at least commented. Glad to hear that you have good people in your life!

YEA HOT WATER!!!!


HUGZ

achromic said...

hey there..... I am thinking of an idea to start my own business...... there is no reason that you could not do the work there OR start a sister co. in MO. I am not planning to start it for another yr while I do research and some schooling. I know the idea of starting another business might be a bit scary...... but you have the XP of stuff that I do not. I really need a partner with more XP and one that isn't scared of a little leap of faith. Call me........ lets talk....... either you can talk me out of this or maybe give me the oppurtunty to talk you into it. This is a no money down thing.... so I am not asking for cash or anything like that. If we do it we get a business loan and we go in as partners with a profit share idea..... got to do more research on that. :)

Anonymous said...

So how's that tankless system working out for you? Pros? Cons?