Saturday, April 22, 2006

Money
.

My mom called last week with a one-time lawn mowing job for L. The house next to hers is going up for sale soon, and they needed to mow the lawn. The offer was $25 to mow 150 square feet of level lawn. No hills, no patio furniture or toys to move; just grass. My son declined. He said, "I already have $150, grandma. I don't need more."

So I took the job. Mom and I went through the yard pulling chickweed, because chickweed doesn't mow, it just lays down or gums up the mower. I trimmed the low-hanging branches on the one tree in the yard. Then I mowed with an electric mower and edged the lawn with a weed whacker. Total time invested was about 2 hours. I earned $12.50 an hour! Wooo!
L has lunch money for a week! I don't have to tap into the change jar!

I also learned how to run over the power cord, how to electrocute myself a little, and that I can get a sunburn in April.

Although I believe I could have done a better job with better equipment; the lawn owner was so pleased that he'll pay me to cut the grass until the house sells!

1 comment:

Optima said...

OMG! I can't believe L past that up, no matter how much money he might have!! When I was that age, I cut lawns all the time, even if they didn't pay me {family}.
I am glad you don't have to stress over lunch money this week, that's a good thing.
Glad you didn't get seriously hurt and I hope you are feeling better than the other day!!
Call me