Monday, February 27, 2006

Racing Falcon
.

Driving home from the snake food store, I spotted a bird like an oversized pidgeon. It was flying about a block ahead of me. It didn't fly like a pidgeon, and I wondered if it was a Peregrine falcon. As I completed that thought, the bird swept up into the sky. I could see it's outline then, and I knew it was indeed a Peregrine falcon.
The falcon stayed framed against the blue sky for two wingbeats, then swept down until it was level with my truck.

I had been driving the speed limit - 35 mph. I slowed down to 30. The falcon stayed even with me for a few dozen yards, then fell behind. He was so close, that I could have rolled down my window and almost touched him. He was flying exactly at eye level with me.

How cool is that?

Oh, and the hawk that watches me drive L to school most mornings is a Harris hawk.

3 comments:

Roberta S said...

Love it. What a great experience. It's little things like this that make life special and should make you feel special to be such a unique part of it.

Anonymous said...

I was sitting at the intersection of Kingshighway and Eichelberger and a big shadow flew over my car, so big I had to look up and see what made it.....A red tailed hawk, and he is a beauty. I now see him on a regular basis at Christy Park behind the fire station. Very Cool!

She Dances in Dragon said...

Roberta, I *do* feel special. :D
I wonder if the falcon was as curious about me as I was of him?

Linda, welcome to my blog! I'm delighted to know we have at least one red tailed hawk in the city. I hope s/he gets some good eatin' at Christy park. Hopefully that stretch of Christy, Leisure and Carondelet parks brings in more birds of prey. :D