Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Pardon My Rant
.
L's school starts later on Wednesdays. I think it's because there are always accidents on the highways on Wednesdays, or something. So they decided to give the students extra time to get to school. The normal commute takes between 30-40 minutes. Today it took an hour and 20 minutes. Hwy 270 was a parking lot for 12 miles. We took 141 instead. And spent 25 minutes getting through Valley Park. Because they set their traffic lights to jam up traffic. Which leads to the real complaint...

I'm frustrated with my inability to do normal things. It was cute for a while. You know, can't go grocery shopping because I can't walk for more than a few minutes without pain, etc. It's not cute anymore. It's depressing. I'm angry a lot.
Last night the hubby-man and I got into an argument about getting a job. He's upset that I'd planned to sit at a coffee shop and knit while L is at school.(instead of job hunting) I don't *want* to sit and knit in public for 8 hours. I WANT to be working. I want to have a paycheck. And. I. Can't. Stand. On. My. Foot.
I have no office skills. I type 22 wpm. The only thing I've done for 14 years is customer service. What am I supposed to do?
Hubby-man says I'm arguing for my limitations. I say he doesn't understand how frustrating and depressing it is to be limited. I'm not sad-depressed, I'm angry-depressed. Help?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This will not likely be any help, but I think you're both right.

achromic said...

Babe, you are one incredibly talented lady. I think your hubby man is right on this one and you are arguing your limitations. There are lots of things you can do, there are a few things that your talent could do if you were willing to go back to school, and even more that I think you are called to do.... but I donno if it would actually make you any money. :) Just for starters.... have you ever thought about making childrens books? You know nice easy ones with say the alphabet? That stuff sells, really. Writting articals for sale... you don't have to go back to school for this... you are good. Write about St. Louis see if you can sell to any of the local papers, try selling to parenting mags. call and ask for assignments etc. What about the pagen communty? Is there something that you could write for that? What about doing in home child care? Part time nanny work? You can drive, what about getting your chaffers license and doing that?

I never knew that I would get to do what I do now. I simply kept trying diffrent jobs as they became avilable. You are so wonderful and powerful person, I donno where you will next be sent in your journey but I doubt it will be boring or dull.

Anonymous said...

So look for customer service jobs that have you sit at a computer. Think telephone person.

Try dotcommommies for work at home jobs. Jet blue I think has people working that take reservations and such over the phone.